National Public Radio is producing a series titled "In Character" in which some of the most famous fictional characters are discussed and analyzed. These are characters that people have selected to be of particular importance to the fabric of American literature, film, television, and drama.
1. Go to the following NPR link:
2. Once there, select two characters about whom you will read. Read the articles and
3. for each character write a brief paragraph explaining what impact this fictional character has had on our culture. Why is this character so fascinating? Important? Misunderstood? Understood?
4. Once you have done that, think about characters you have met in books, seen in movies or plays, or watched on TV. Pick one that is of particular interest to you. Write an entry in which you explain why this character is important to our culture in your opinion. What qualities does this character possess that makes him/her/it so intriguing? Why is this character important to our society (not just a small group of fans)?
5. When you are finished visit the blogs of your group members, read, and comment on their choices.